Sunday, February 11, 2007

Regenerated Faith/Unlimited Atonement


Dr. Couch, I saw where you said you leaned toward regeneration coming before faith. I find this issue confusing especially from some of the blogs that are out there. I am thinking of James White and Ergun Caner. How does this coincide with unlimited atonement? 
 
    ANSWER:  To repeat again, I find at least two verses that need to be examined with the idea that regeneration comes before faith. One is Titus 3:5. “He saved us by the washing of the again birth (born again, regeneration) and the renewing (remaking) of the Holy Spirit.” The “again birth” in Greek is actually palinggevesia translated as “regeneration.” 

While faith by God’s sovereignty is in the mix of the salvation process, Paul does not bring it up here in this verse. He just goes straight to the theological work of what “being born again” means. I also fall back on 2 Thessalonians 2:13 where Paul shows that we are chosen by God FROM THE BEGINNING FOR SALVATION “by means of” sanctification by the Spirit and “by means of” FAITH IN THE TRUTH. 

The sanctification of the Spirit would be the new birth (being born again) and the faith is our response brought about by God’s sovereignty. I do not understand what you mean about “unlimited atonement.” I do not see the relationship of that with the issue of the order of regeneration and faith. I do not see the connection. I must be brain dead on this issue but I just don’t understand the big deal! 

    Thanks for asking.

    Dr. Mal Couch