Friday, April 6, 2007

Cultural Apostasy


Dr. Couch, should Evangelicals join hands with Roman Catholics and Mormons, etc., in combating such problems as abortion and homosexuality in our culture? 
 
    My answer has a two-pronged approach! If I somehow align myself with such groups in a "religious" front, then the lost will see no difference between true believers and other denominations. But if I take it upon myself to fight such things as a private citizen, even along with a coalition of people (even who are not Christians), then I am seen as simply doing my duty as a voting citizen of the state. I could also join a group of Evangelicals to fight such issues. Then my spiritual beliefs are united with others of like faith and would be understood as an effort of a specific spiritual group—of Evangelicals! 

    Christians may be called to social action as individuals. This is the calling of some who are very committed. They may be activist Christian lawyers who are on the frontlines, or a believer who wants to go into politics to try to make a difference. We must not be misled however to think we really will turn our culture around without folks truly changed by becoming believers in Christ. We will not! We are deep into the apostasy of the church and into cultural apostasy. We are not going to turn it around, though some may be called to do what they can. 

    Thanks for asking!

    Dr. Mal Couch