Friday, April 27, 2007

What is Happening In Seminaries?


Dr. Couch, I appreciate your language work. It seems as if this is a dying art, to be able to firmly exegete the Bible from the Hebrew and Greek. What’s happening in seminaries? 
 
    Most have cut back and thrown in the towel as far as the biblical languages. While they may offer token courses, it takes a lost of formal classes to get the languages down and use this properly. My generation coming up in the 60s was “forced” to max out in language and grammar studies. I translate almost daily in the Hebrew and Greek texts, and, I love it! There is nothing more rich as to “feel” the Word of God in the original, and as David and Paul wrote it! 

    The sun is setting on this skill. Younger men are not committed to the discipline and therefore doctrinal error will seep in to our churches and Bible schools. 

    I have finally given up in trying to force students to take 20 hours or more of the languages. However I urge you to visit Bible Greek VideoPOD  put up by Dr. John Pappas. It is meant to entice students to get a taste of Greek in the hope that they will go on for more study. 

    Thanks for asking,

    Dr. Mal Couch