Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pentecostal Congregations

Dr. Couch, I have over the years really admired your biblical knowledge. I remember when we went to your church and had come out of a Pentecostal congregation. Some of my relatives believe that speaking in tongues is part of salvation, as well as the belief of the United Pentecostal and Oneness people. What information do you have on this subject? Almost all of my family has been brainwashed on the issue. – D.E.

ANSWER:  I recommend the latest commentary in the series I have been working on as general editor, and that is The Book of First Corinthians by a great scholar, Dr. Dan Mitchell, AMG Publications. Also, my book entitled The Holy Spirit really explains the issue of "Speaking in Languages." And no, it is not required for salvation, but too, the subject is terribly misunderstood. Paul is not saying in 1 Corinthians 12-14 what they want the passage to say.

 
   Thanks for asking.
   Dr. Mal Couch