Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Greek Case System

Dr. Couch, when did the eight noun case system in Greek fall out of favor and give way to the six case system? And what does this have to do with studying Greek?

ANSWER:  This has nothing to do with the study of Greek. When I was taking beginning Greek fifty years ago in college, the six case system was used by some Greek textbooks. The textbook I was using had the eight case system. (No big deal!) I can translate just as well with the six system as I can with the eight system. I prefer the eight because that was what I learned Greek with, but in reality it does not mean that much. The eight case system is a little clearer in my opinion. We create a system of learning Greek as we analyze the language. In fact, that is what we do as we deal with all languages. All languages are made clear by our study.

   I can learn any language because I understand the basic principles that govern how all languages work. I had more Greek in college and graduate school hours than anyone you will speak with. And I translate every week verses in Hebrew and in Greek. I love the study of the biblical languages. The study of the biblical languages gives to us our systematic theology. I am now working on a Messianic Systematic Theology using comments and helps from the orthodox Jews scholars. It is thrilling to see how both the OT and the NT reveals to us the revelation of the Lord.

   Thanks for asking.
   Dr. Mal Couch
(Apr., 10)