Thursday, April 1, 2010

Things Take Place

Dr. Couch, I know you have had a lot of Greek and so I'm asking a Greek question about the phrase "... things take place ..." in Matthew 24:34. What is happening here?

ANSWER:  I have taught both undergraduate and graduate Greek. I have had about 40 hours of the language. My masters thesis at Wheaton Graduate School, for my MA, was in Greek. And I have nationally published by AMG a Greek commentary on 1 & 2 Thessalonians.

   The verb you are referring to is "ginomai" and it is a deponent verb meaning "to become, to originate," thus translated in the Active Voice not the Middle/Passive Voice. In the Matthew passage it is in the Aorist Subjunctive form and should be translated "this generation will not pass away, that sees 'all these things that should come about (should take place),' concerning the tribulation, etc., etc. ..."

   Christ is not talking about the destruction of the temple in 70 AD, He is referring to the "all these things" of the seven year period of tribulation, or the wrath of God. "This generation" is not the generation that is standing before Him as He is talking. It is a far future generation that is caught in the "tribulation of those days" (v. 29).

   There is much confusion on this passage because of the poor scholarship and misleading influence of preterism. The folks reading the passage just wants it to say what they want it to say!

   I hope this helps.
   Dr. Mal Couch
(Apr., 10)