Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dooms Day Prepping

Dr. Couch, with all that could be coming on our nation, should we store up food and other items in preparation for troublesome days or simply trust the Lord? I hear both views. What do you think?

ANSWER:  You referred to Proverbs 6:6 and Matthew 6:26. Proverbs 6:6 reminds us to be prudent and prepare for troubled days. It says: "Go to the ant, O sluggard, observe her ways and be wise, ... she prepares her food in the summer, and gathers her provision in the harvest." Matthew 6:26-8 speaks of "Your Father knowing what you need, before you ask Him."

   My answer would be "both" "and." Both passages are inspired Scripture so there is a balance with both. If I am reminded to store up and prepare for troubled times, that is God working His providence in my life, causing me to be ready for dark days coming. And whatever I do, this is His doing, working through and with me!

   God uses "means" to accomplish His "ends," His "purposes." There are no accidents in His plans. It would be wise and prudent for believers to store up provisions, funds, etc. Save and be wise with your income and your means. Do not squander and spend unwisely, as unfortunately, many of us are doing. I believe we all may wake up and find ourselves in trouble with what is coming upon us. Our grandparents were biblically smart. They saved and "prepared for the winter." Our generation is not that smart but we need to listen carefully to God's Word and take all the Scriptures to heart.

   I hope this helps, and thanks for asking.
   Dr. Mal Couch (5/10)