Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Covenant in Isaiah 42 and 49

Dr. Couch, what Covenant is referenced in Isaiah 42:6 and 49:8?

ANSWER:  Isaiah 42 is about the Messiah, about Christ the Servant of God. God says "Behold, My Servant whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights" (v. 1).

   The the Lord said "I have called you (the Messiah) in righteousness … I will appoint you as a covenant to the people" (v. 6). More then likely this is the New covenant because it has been ratified by the blood of Christ at the cross. Jesus told His disciples before He went to the cross: "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood" (Luke 22:20). Isaiah 49 is the same, and verse 8 says virtually the same thing.

   The New covenant was ratified by Christ's death (Luke 22:20), and launched at Pentecost (Acts 2), and is now applied to the church, though the church does not fulfill the New covenant. It will be finally fulfilled when Israel is back in the land.

   Thanks for asking.
   Dr. Mal Couch (10/10)