Thursday, April 10, 2008

Legalism in Churches

Dr. Couch, I am a pastor in a small Baptist denomination. I am seeing legalism and just plain stupid things now happening in our group. I don’t know if I can go on. My heart is really wrenched by what I see. What should I do?

ANSWER: First of all, let me say that what you are seeing is happening all over. What I find remarkable is that so many others of your associates do not see the same things going on. This means that they are not spiritually sensitive, and, that they like the company of the denomination. So many today are spiritually blinded and are buying into the philosophies and practices of the culture. And as well, probably you would agree that they have a certain pride in who they are.

To me you have several choices: (1) Leave the denomination. (2) Leave but see if your church would go with you. (3) Talk to brother pastors who see what you see, to ascertain what you could do together to bring about conviction to the group.

Number (3) will probably not work. I have never seen prideful people change their ways. They love to sit in the seat of power and authority and are not aware of the shifting going on in the denomination. Because people like to “cluster” in a denomination, and because they don’t see what you see, number (2) will probably not happen either. That leaves (1) by which you resign and go out on your own. Be prepared for a rough and rocky ride. Starting something new that is true to the teaching of God’s Word, is rarely working in today’s church climate.

I hate to give you this bad news but I deal with this weekly, with pastors emailing me about the changes taking place in their churches. If you leave, more than likely you will gather a few around you who want the truth. And God may cause a new work to grow, but that is not the trend today. What is happening to you is not coming about by accident. God told us an apostasy would flourish in the end times, a departure in which people will thrive on carnality and error. So we should not be surprised! I wish I had better and more positive news but I don’t.

Thanks for sharing your heart.
Dr. Mal Couch