Monday, February 16, 2009

Bible Student's Toolbox

Dr. Couch, thank you for your most excellent and in-depth answers to Bible questions. I need to have things compute. A thorough knowledge of Scripture combined with original language skills, enables you to clear up any confusions. Your resources should be a part of every Bible student's toolbox.

ANSWER: Thank you for your kind words. I was blessed in graduate school to be thoroughly trained in the biblical languages. However, when I graduated, that institution, and some of the others I attended, started downgrading the training in Hebrew and Greek. I had one recent graduate tell me he could not really exegete the Scriptures because he did not receive enough course work in these languages.

When we lose our exegeses, we will lose our sharpness in doctrine and interpretation. Because the churches no longer want teachers, most of the seminaries are downplaying language training.

But I have learned long ago, that there is no turning things around. This is our generation and it is marching to the drums of the apostasy when strong doctrine will no longer be taught.

Again, thank you for your kind thoughts.
Dr. Mal Couch