Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Scofield Bible

Dr. Couch, do you recommend the old Scofield Bible or the new Scofield Bible? And, why?

ANSWER:  The new Scofield Reference Bible is what I use in the NAS translation. The reason is that it is a good update and also I knew almost all of the men on the revision committee. They were either teachers of mine or friends, such as: Teacher – Dr. Frank Gaebelein, Dr. Charles Feinberg, Dr. John F. Walvoord. I worked with and had as teachers (and friends) – Dr. Walvoord, Dr. Wilbur Smith, Dr. Clarence Mason, Dr. William Culbertson. The only one on the revision committee I did not know was Dr. Allan MacRae. 

   I also knew the editor Dr. Glenn Goss. Many of these men were at Philadelphia College of Bible where I taught, also at Moody Bible Institute, and at Dallas Seminary, again all of the institutions at which I was a professor.

   I also was raised as a youngster in Scofield Memorial Church in Dallas. As you can see my connections are thick and close with the Scofield tradition. However, I am not a dispensationalist because of these connections, I wrote one of the most important hermeneutic book now out, and I know for a fact that the Bible is indeed dispensational! (Classical Evangelical Hermeneutics, published by Kregel)

   The Scofield Reference Bible which was first published in about 1910 changed America. The denominational leaders hated it but it changed the people in the pews, of all denominations. For the first time the Bible started to make sense for the average believer. And too, it was so clear and supportive of Israel. And it set forth Bible prophecy in such clear terms. This is why American Christianity had and still has such a strong support for the Jewish people. The Scofield Bible is the main cause.

   Thanks for asking.
   Dr. Mal Couch  (12/10)