Thursday, February 28, 2008

Young Seminary Faculty

Dr. Couch, I'm beginning to see what you mean about "young seminary faculty." There is something wrong with many younger men now controlling Bible schools. What do you say?

ANSWER: I've addressed this many times, and yes, there is something going on. And I'm not referring to younger faculty men simply turning liberal. They have a different mind-set being part of a generation that has the same. They think they know it all and that they have more wisdom than older men. While this problem has always existed I believe it is accelerated in our day.

One Dean from an Evangelical school just told me, "Mal, we cannot find younger faculty members. There is something wrong!" Two other prominent Bible Universities are shifting to the left with their "younger" presidents and faculty members. One of these schools has about five faculty that are moving into heresy. All who are watching this believe the school could soon be split. Another school I know of has sickening in-fighting going on among the board members. One of my "older" friends who taught for years at one of them said recently, "I'm out of here!" At the other school, older experienced teachers are simply resigning.

What I am describing I hear constantly from those of you who visit this website. My advice: If the school leadership is "young," do not go there! One of the "big" schools in Virginia just had a change of the academic guard and leadership. The changes they swept in are breathtaking and will probably destroy the school in the next decade. Remember, when I say destroy, I don't mean the school will go away, I mean it just will not be the same, and will probably turn liberal. And, the teaching of the Bible will probably end up in the basement with but a handful of students attending.

Be careful of the school you choose. Feel free to ask me about what is happening as you try to decide.

Thanks for asking.
Dr. Mal Couch