Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What Does the Term "Servant Leadership" Mean?


Dr. Couch, what does the term "servant leadership" mean when used to describe the role of a pastor-teacher in a local church? 
 
    ANSWER: You've got me! I've never heard that expression. This reminds me (maybe) of what was in vogue some years back called "The Shepherding" movement, where pastor-teachers became almost like gods, ruling the sheep with a heavy hand, i.e., extremely overbearing in controlling the flock. Even to the point of interferring in how they budget their own monies at home. Maybe this is not the same thing, hopefully! You might send me additional information on this and I'll address the question more specifically. 

    Peter speaks about the shepherds taking on their job "voluntarily" (ekousios) (1 Pet. 5:2). In my new NT commentary series, Dr. Robert Gromacki points out that this probably means "the Holy Spirit brought [these elders] to the place where they became willing [to serve] for the right reasons." 

    Shepherding should be a humbling task, not one acting like the straw boss to the poor folks in the congregation. 

    Thanks for asking!

    Dr. Mal Couch