Thursday, February 2, 2006

Lordship Salvation


I know, Dr. Couch, that you were a friend of S. Lewis Johnson. I am hearing that he may have held to Lordship Salvation. What do you say? 
 
    ANSWER:  Dr. Johnson was a friend but I also sat under him in graduate school for Greek courses on almost the entire New Testament. Later I was instrumental in having him teach five graduate Greek courses in a seminary setting. I had many conversations with him, and I know that he turned to accept the five points of Calvinism. (In reality only four are defensible from the standpoint of context and the Greek text.) 

   Dr. Johnson was a gracious and godly teacher of God’s Word but he became enamored with a “system” rather than the detailed truths that come off of the pages of Scripture. He knew that I knew my theology pretty well and he did not want to debate over some of these issues. 

   To your question: I never heard anything in his teachings, while in graduate school or in any other setting, which would make one think he held to Lordship. Lordship is an aberrant view that just popped up in the last ten years or so. It cannot be sustained by scriptural proof! Don’t worry about it—it is disappearing! 

   Thanks for asking,

   Dr. Mal Couch