Thursday, March 26, 2009

Is Exodus 23:20-21 About Christ?

Dr. Couch, what is going on in Exodus 23:20-21? Is this about Christ?

ANSWER:  The Lord said through Moses, "I am going to send an angel before you to guard you along the way, and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. Be on your guard before him and obey his voice; do not be rebellious toward him, for he will not pardon your transgression, since My name is in him."

   This is very similar to Judges 2:1 where the angel of the Lord speaks a word of rebuke to the Israelites. "I have sworn to your fathers; and I said, 'I will never break My covenant with you.'" In Exodus 23:21 the angel the Lord is sending is the Angel of Jehovah who is the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ. Unger agrees with this. Moses is told "to obey Him,' that is, this Angel. This would certainly make Him the Messiah! Because of the depth of the sins of the people, He will not pardon their transgressions. Only God could pardon sin; therefore, this one is not simply another angel, but the Angel of Jehovah, Christ, who has the ability to pardon, or not pardon!

   Thanks for asking.
   Dr. Mal Couch