Thursday, March 22, 2007

Good Workbook to Teach Eschatology?


Dr. Couch, I am teaching a Sunday school class on Eschatology from the biblical perspective, which of course means biblical dispensationalism. I am using as a base Dr. Pentecost’s Things to Come, but I would like some kind of workbook that would have questions to facilitate discussion. Do you have any ideas? 
 
    Unfortunately, no, not exactly what you are looking for. I might suggest some other volumes that have questions at the end, though not all of the books I am mentioning do. I highly recommend the book of my good friend Dr. Paul Benware, Understanding End Time Prophecy. Also, my The Gathering Storm that is really selling well. (You can get copies through me.) I know many people are using Lewis S. Chafer’s Major Bible Themes. It has a lot of chapters dedicated to prophecy with questions at the end.
   
    For people to really understand prophecy they need to know that there is being fought a hermeneutical battle. The allegorists and amillennialists study with forked tongue, taking half the prophecies in Scripture literally, and the other half allegorically. My book Classical Evangelical Hermeneutics gets this all straightened out. Don’t stop studying "deeply." Most Sunday schools devote, emote, blab, and thinly pretend to be studying the Word of God. At our church the adult Sunday school is no different from the church service. Both services put forth the "teaching" of the Word and not the syrupy "preaching" that is going on today. People are tired of sermonettes for christianettes! 

    Hang in and teach the Word with zeal! 

    Thanks for asking.

    Dr. Mal Couch